Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Pinwheel Girls Launch at Chicago's Historic Merchandise Mart

It was an amazing experience to launch at the Merchandise Mart Living and Giving Gift Show in July of 2008 and I am so glad I participated...first I have to say that it has been an incredible journey of both struggle and empowerment to write, illustrate and self-publish a book...so to see my book out on the shelves of a suite at the Merchandise Mart was indeed a dream come true and a very powerful and emotional moment for me...It reaffirmed for me that dreams do come true...if you have a dream to begin with....

The Show was the culminating result of many years of hard work, grit, determination, sacrifice, and belief...I can honestly say that I have no regrets whatsoever about the path that I am now on...I am thrilled with the book, the companion line of Pinwheel Girl Gift Products, and the new sense of creativity, skill set, and stretching that I am doing as a result of this project...there have been struggles to be sure, but there have also been victories...

The suite was just stunning...it felt like a real boutique...and the products merchandised very well...there was strong interest from many shop owners and retailers...we met so many simply amazing people...networking became my favorite activity at the Show....it was just so compelling for me to hear everyone's story of product development, their moments of inspiration, their path that led them there to the same place and time as I...We met members of the press, including Gift Shop Magazine, and made contacts with people connected to Chicago Radio Personalities, the Chicago Tribune, and many women's groups and networks. We handed out hundreds of Pinwheel Girl flyers and price sheets.

We met one of our country's original Feminists from the Women's Movement of the 70's when she approached the suite -- and she told us the story of how she burned her bra and threw it into the Chicago River on the front steps of the Merchandise Mart along with several other now famous Feminists of that time...she encouraged me to keep the Women's Movement moving forward with my book and products for women...

We met entrepreneurs who were just as proud of their products as I was of mine...and there was a wonderful camaraderie that developed by the end of the Show...sharing email addresses, helping one another pack up, going out to dinner together, having a drink, staffing the booth for those who were solo so they could take a break, learning tricks of the trade, and sharing stories...we swapped products with one another, made plans to reconnect, and encouraged one another.

There were many women who connected deeply to the Pinwheel Girl...those who come to mind include one woman who was a recovering addict, another who had just experienced a traumatic betrayal, another going through a mid-life divorce, and another who was enthralled with her newly reclaimed empowerment...it is these women and others like them who will create the momentum for the Pinwheel Girls as they move forward....it was interesting to me how the Pinwheel Girl always finds who is looking for her...when women connected to the Pinwheel Girl, I saw the tears in their eyes, the aura of recognition, the relief in discovering that they are not alone...

My sisters, Carol and Jeanice, and friend, Penny, who supported me at the Booth were incredible Pinwheel Girls themselves...empowered, creative, thoughtful, gracious, and pushing their intellect and skill sets into new realms...we all learned so much and brainstormed regularly about our experience...There is still so much to do ahead...lots of tasks, and even more commitment to getting the product out there for women and girls to discover...This Show is just the beginning!

Thanks to all of my friends and family who have been diligent supporters. I firmly believe that we must all encourage one another...so I cannot express adequately enough my thanks to you all for all of your help, guidance and belief in me. Thanks for helping me make my dream come true!!

Warm Winds To All Of You!
http://www.pinwheelgirls.com

No comments:

Post a Comment