Monday, March 16, 2009

Under a Different Sky ~ Making a Soul Collage


Creating a soul collage, vision board, or life collage can be part of a deeply healing process allowing you to reclaim parts of yourself that are hidden, have been forgotten, need to be excavated, or are just waiting to be nurtured back to emotional health. By newly focusing on the multi-faceted aspects of your personality, your long held dreams, symbolisms that are important to you, prevalent themes in your life, and the wishes you hold dear, a profound renewal can take place and a personal awakening ensues. This renewal naturally leads to new perspectives, stronger commitment to one's Self, enhanced growth, inner peace, joy, abundance and a positive outlook for one's future.

Here is a photo of a Soul Collage I made for myself a few years ago that incorporates my personal symbols, archetypes, animal totems, and favorite universal symbols -- they all represent my life's emotional landscape and themes. Creating this collage was part of my personal journey through transformation as I created The Pinwheel Girl Takes Flight ~ Stage 2: Unfolding.

The Soul Collage project was very affirming and revelatory -- I highly recommend it for anyone. Though it might look complicated, the process was not that hard. I used stickers, greeting cards, scrapbooking supplies, stamps, magazine cut-outs, and a few of my own simple drawings to make this. It took about 3-4 months to finish, working on it a few hours a week.

I had it framed and it now hangs prominently in my home just outside my bedroom where I can look at it every morning when I wake and start my day. The collage is a visual reminder of my uniqueness, the paths I have taken, journeys I have planned, and the collection of spiritual teachers that guide and nourish me daily.

I want to encourage you to create a Soul Collage of your own -- express yourself and let your deepest traits, beliefs, values, and dreams come forth. You will see that all of your complexities make sense, that you are an eternal being, that every part of you is valid, and that despite what you have experienced or been told, you are indeed whole.

As you think about the following questions meant to guide you as you create your Soul Collage, look for images, words, phrases, etc. in magazines, stickers, greeting cards, stamps, photos, and more that convey the answers to these questions to build into your masterpiece. For example, if you strongly identify yourself as a Teacher to others, you might look for images of trees, apples, acorns, books, etc. all of which convey the symbolism of "knowledge." Likewise, if you are highly connected to the idea of harmony, peace, and tranquility, then images of landscapes, vistas, skies, water, etc. might do the trick.

Here are some questions to get you started:

What are the emotional themes of your life? e.g., victory, betrayal, uniqueness, strength through adversity, giver, achiever, loyalty, independence, misfit, ugly duckling, swan, underdog, golden girl, invisible, abundance...what others can you think of that are not on this list?

What are the archetypes that you strongly identify with? e.g., mother, artist, athlete, healer, lover, teacher, mystic, architect, storyteller, hunter, farmer, merchant, daughter, queen, songstress, muse, princess, leader, ruler, heroine, pioneer, writer, thinker...what others can you think of that are not on this list?

What animals, insects, fish, and birds are you drawn to? What about them makes you attracted them? What animals are you afraid of or phobic to? Why?

What are your dreams for your life? Who do you want to be? What do you want?

What are your favorite symbols? Why do you think you are interested in these particular symbols? Research their universal meaning. Here are a few symbols to consider: heart, acorn, cross, leaf, candle, top hat, tree, pinecone, wheel, clock, lantern, bell, steeple, money, playing cards, egg, nest, hive, star, moon, sun, rainbow, vase, gate, mountain. What other symbols do you relate to that are not on this list?

What are your favorite colors? Research the spiritual and healing meanings of the colors in your life.

Where have you been and where are you going? What have you let go of? What have you held onto?

These questions will help you get started with creating your first Soul Collage. My Soul Collage represents me and no one else. Make sure you create a collage that represents you in whatever way you wish. Have fun with the process -- thinking and reflecting, collecting images and phrases, and then cutting, gluing and creating a unique and compelling visual representation of you.

I would love to see what you create. Please share!


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your post...I often make soul collages or vision boards. It can be very revealing to silence your analytical side and open to your intuitive side. Thanks for sharing yours--very ethereal.

    ReplyDelete